Although it’s recognized that Nigeria continues to be inside a procedure for transition regarding greater education to deal with the imbalances of history, it ought to be emphasized that Institutions of Greater Education in large continue to be underplaying the significance of greater education as commercialized commodity within the global world. This led to a minimal commercial greater education presence within the global world, a restricted capacity to draw in quality students from foreign countries along with a national oriented education approach. The school law which will soon be introduced in Nigeria to deal with the imbalances of history could have a negative aftereffect of institutions of greater education to experience a substantial role within the commercialized educational world. The suggested new law emphasized adherence towards the concepts of equitability, rectification and representativeness above competence within the appointment of teachers. This might undermine the caliber of education first of all, in schools and then in institutions of greater education in Nigeria.
This really is in sharp contrast with worldwide trends signaling the worldwide greater education marketplace is increasingly competitive as education competes as export and import commodity. Figures available indicate that greater education export represents typically around 6.6% of total student enrollments in 2000. This figure can continue to ‘t be matched b South African Institutions five years later. In countries like Europe, Australia and Austria these figures were above 11% in 2000 making these countries the greatest internationalized greater education countries on the planet. Similarly, educational services around australia, Nz and also the Usa correspondingly represent the 3rd, 4th and fifth largest service export sectors. This clearly provides evidence these countries realize the value of greater education to transfer intellectual capital and boost the economic competitiveness of nations.
It is crucial that Institutions of Greater Education in Nigeria position themselves as nodes within an more and more seamless understanding base within the global world, which will have a greater interface using the understanding-driven global economy. Therefore, Institutions of greater education in Nigeria should given much more focus on integrate with influential worldwide institutions that will these to internationalize greater education.
Presently, internationalization of greater education in Nigeria happens more by incident instead of through completely planned and arranged approaches. If institutions of greater education in Nigeria plan to consider greater education like a commercial trade commodity, serious emphasis ought to be place upon:
· Introducing purposeful policies and techniques that clearly indicate the street forward regarding internationalization intentions and also the specific areas that will need priority attention. However, this shouldn’t be developed separate internationalization strategies, but should e seen as an natural aspect of the overall technique of the institute.
· Implementing induction and course programmes which will attract quality foreign students towards the institutions.
· Supporting academics to sign up in conferences plus trustworthy academic journals to write research results.
· Ensuring that course choices meet worldwide recognized criteria as based on the key institutions of greater education within the planet.
· Creating favorable learning environments outfitted using the latest learning technologies.
Internationalization mandates that institutions of greater education in Nigeria should highlight a rather loosening from the relationship with Government to produce new transformational physiques to deal with the imbalances of history, but additionally to broaden this pursuit to play a far more active role in regional economic development. This can be accomplished by creating strong horizontal links along with other universities research institutions and industry within the Southern African Development Community. If this can be accomplished, those activities of institutions of greater education won’t be isolated in the marketplace and it is outputs turn into merchandise products too. Loosening the connection with government won’t offer more freedom to autonomously determine what educational and research outputs to produce, but probably boost the pressure on institutions of greater education to do better because they occupy the duty to boost funds for projects and salaries.
It’s imperative that greater education in Nigeria can’t go ahead and take disposition that placed development and research as opposed to each other. Rather, it will need the stand the outputs of institutions must have a powerful:
· Social development and application where the synchronised promotion and integration of your practice, research and production occurs
· Science and Technology Financial Management Support System in position to create a good research atmosphere for academics and
· Set of ” Key Condition Laboratories” where research and education of proper importance towards the development and well-being of the nation could be transported out.
Nigeria institutions of greater education presently rated only one of the top 40 from the world’s host countries. A sudden need exist to re-think and reformulate the academic thinking types of institutions of greater education in Nigeria. Due to the altering political situation supported with a altering global economy, many traditional ways that institutions of greater education were formerly governed can change. Unless of course institutions of greater education in Nigeria succeed to internationalize effectively, huge possibilities to earn foreign currency using greater education like a trade commodity is going to be lost.